[ic] [data session ...] ?

Sandy Thomson sandy at scotwebshops.com
Wed Jul 21 10:44:49 EDT 2004

Hi,
I have been trying to access various things in the session database,
mainly referer and source
(as documented here:
http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/docfly.html?mv_arg=ictemplates05%2e02),
but these always seem to be blank when referencing them in a page.

Not all things are blank, for instance ohost, id etc.

Using the [dump] tag, i can see the HTTP_REFERER enviroment variable has
the correct referer but it doesnt propogate into the sessions DB.

Anyone got any ideas? I am using IC 5.0 and have
SessionDatabase session
in my catalog.cfg file

The reason I ask is I was wanting to track how successful our
advertising on various search engines is, and whether it is worth paying
for.

I have already written a page monitoring facility which logs the session
and host of the connecting user, the url of the page (e.g
product_code_3.html), the interchange url of the page(e.g flypage), how
long the page took to render (using the [benchmark] tag), and if the
page was completed at all (identifies bugs with pages such as crashes or
infinate loops, which is good). The code goes in the header and the
footer regions of the catalog so the interchange core remains unchanged.

I have written a few cron jobs which download from the database and draw
a few graphs off-site using GD.

I have uploaded a few examples:
http://www.scotwebshops.com/page.jpeg
http://www.scotwebshops.com/testor.jpeg
http://www.scotwebshops.com/shops_month.jpeg

I could make most of the code available, but first I would like to get
some of this ad tracking stuff done. We thought Mike was doing this, but
now his work has been published have realised that it was for banner ads
which I think is different?

Thanks,

Sandy.