[ic] How to set up so "decrypt credit card" link will work?

Janine Sisk janine at furfly.net
Wed Jul 21 12:04:53 EDT 2004

On Jul 20, 2004, at 5:37 PM, Jonathan Clark wrote:

> Things have improved somewhat since IC 4.8. Go to Administration >>
> Preferences >> Encryption and select the PGP_KEY setting. If the key
> has
> already been imported it will be in the drop down. If not, you can
> click the
> 'Add a GPG/PGP key' link to import the public key file. Then go back
> and
> select the key for the PGP_KEY setting.
>
> The ENCRYPTOR setting can be left blank and IC will find GPG on its
> own.

Uhoh... I seem to have messed something up.

Yesterday I did the following:
- generated a new key for the interchange user, and verified it was in
the PGP_KEY dropdown
- exported the public key and copied it to my local system
- it still wasn't working so I went into PGP_KEY and filled in the
value recommended in that old post:
gpg --no-default-keyring --always-trust --keyring
/home/interch/.gnupg/pubring.gpg -e -a --batch -t -r '%s'

This morning it dawned on me that the problem was that I needed to
create a new test order with the PGP stuff set up right in order for
the decryption to work.  So I did that, and this time I got a properly
encoded value when I clicked on "decrypt credit card" and downloaded
TEST0003.pgp.  Progress!

However, it seems that I did the keys backwards because I can't decrypt
it;  I get an error about the secret key not being present.  I had
hoped that keeping the secret key on the server would work because I
need to have multiple people all able to decrypt these files on their
local machines, but apparently that is not to be.  So I generated a new
key locally, uploaded my public key to the server, and imported it into
interchange's keyring.  So far, so good.

Then I go into interchange to change which key I'm using, and the
PGP_KEY option has disappeared!  When I go to
Administration>>Preferences>>Encryption, all I see there is Encryptor.
However I do see that the gpg command mentioned above is now showing up
in the Edit Preferences menu (listed after Template).  When I click on
it there is no way to delete it.

What did I do, and how do I get PGP_KEY back?

thanks,

janine