[ic] How to set up so "decrypt credit card" link will work?

Mark Weaver mark at americanmicroinc.com
Wed Jul 21 14:37:52 EDT 2004

Eric Small wrote:

> Janine Sisk wrote:
>
>> On Jul 21, 2004, at 1:17 PM, Eric Small wrote:
>>
>> We're talking non-technical users here, both Mac and Windows, in
>> different geographic locations.  Sounds like a recipe for
>> disaster/confusion to me...  but we can't be the only ones who have
>> orders processed in multiple locations?  What does everyone else do?
>>

> I haven't quite gotten that far yet, but there are a couple programs for
> Windows that makes GPG easier to use.
>
> The first is WinPT a little system tray program that provides
> alternate-click file encryption/decryption capabilities.
> http://winpt.sourceforge.net/en/
>
> There is also a freeware GPG plug-in for Outlook from here
> http://www3.gdata.de/gpg/download.html
>
> These utilities require GPG to be installed which can be obtained from:
> http://www.gpg.org
>
> Distributing the private key should be done via some secure method.
> Perhaps a download via https?  Or you could encrypt the private key with
> its public key then email it. (Oh wait, that won't work ;)
>
> I'm not sure what programs are available for Mac.  There must be some
> GPG utilities for FreeBSD that can run on a Mac.
>
> Eric

download the program called Windows Privacy Tray ( WinPT ) and install
it on all the workstation where they're going to be needing to decrypt
using the same secret key.

tar.gz the directory ".gnupg" in the interchange user's home directory
and then export the files inside that directory (archived) into each of
the machines needing it. ( after you've installed GNU WinPT )

Now...when you download that .pgp file from interchange you'll be able
to decryt it because you'll have both the public and private keys on
those systems that the interchange user has and is using to do the
encryption with.

I've been using this method for some time now being able to decrypt the
CC numbers that are encrypted in the orders email that is sent to the
Interchange user. I'm using Mozilla and Enigmail->WinPT and it decrypts
on the fly flawlessly. And all I did was to import ( manually ) the
.gnupg directory files into the program directory of WinPT on my Windows
XP workstation.

You can find the WinPT program here: http://www.winpt.org

you will also need to download and install GnuPG for Windows and install
this on each machine as well. I haven't read anything at all to suggest
that this method will work with PGP for windows.

--

 Mark Weaver
 American Micro - Webmaster