[ic] Community Projects

Greg greg at valuemedia.com
Sat Jul 24 19:38:37 EDT 2004

Ron Phipps wrote:

>Hey guys, this was posted on the biz list and it didn't seem to generate
>any responses.  Perhaps it will get some hits here :)  I think this may
>be a way for the community to help out with the IC project more and for
>IC to grow quicker then ever.  I think the ultimate goal could be to
>have a site where any developer could post a project they would be
>willing to work on if the price is right and then for the community to
>post their pledges so the work can begin.

Thanks for putting it up Ron, I had two announcements to go out, but got
caught up in something in between...

While it would certainly be the most convenient to have everything
centrally located, the accounting for it gets a little sticky unless you
have some sort of administrator, and keeping track of other peoples
pledges, payments, etc is tough enough in-house. We set up this
mechanism as a first step, so that at least we can track what is going
on in our small little world.  Perhaps we could set up a clearing house
site or section on icdevgroup.org that would list just projects and
developers, with links from the respective projects to the appropriate
developer sites.  Then each developer could be responsible for
incorporating their own accounting leg of the entity.

Mike had some pretty valid points in an earlier mail regarding potential
problems with the program, and I think this step at least addresses the
administrative aspect of the accounting. Support, quality of work, and
the awarding of projects were 3 other points Mike made, and those should
be addressed by the community as well if we want to ultimately have a
successful system.

There are many examples on the web of systems that allow users to "rate"
products (or in this case projects) which might be an approach for the
quality of work point. I look forward to hearing everyones comments
regarding all of these working points.

>  The ad tracking and Paypal
>payment module have already been added to the site, looking forward to
>seeing progress in those two.

Mike has finished the first version of the ad tracking, info is at:

http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2004-July/040068.html

>-Ron

Thanks,
Greg