[ic] Simple Sub-Category Question

Feanor feanor at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 28 23:17:14 EDT 2004

Hello all, any help on this issue would be appreciated. I tried searching the archives but didn't quite find anything that quite addressed my issue, though I know it must be a common one.

Basically, I would like to have interchange display a list of links on the left (from the vertical category bar) but just have it display product areas (no categories)... I'm doing a paintball-themed site, so the links on the left would just be like "Goggles", "Guns", "Barrels", etc. Upon clicking on one of the main areas, the user would see a list of the different manufacturers, or categories in the *main* area, and would then be able to click on manufacturers, such as "Smart Parts", or "Dye" and then have interchange do the search and display the products under that category.

I can't figure out the way to do this; any time I set up a search, even if I specify to search on the 'cat' table instead of the 'products' table, I always get a list of products returned, never just a list of categories.. Ive played around, read lots of documentation, and experimented but still can't find a simple way to display a list of categories rather than a list of products. I'm not very knowledgeable about interchange, though, so that could be part of it. Any help or pointers to other threads addressing this issue would be much appreciated! Thanks much.

Joshua
feanor at u.washington.edu