[ic] HTdig or Googling a local IC Site for better search results on numerous columns

Barry Treahy, Jr. Treahy at MMaz.com
Thu Jul 29 12:01:54 EDT 2004

Mike Heins wrote:

>There is nothing "sql query" about the search. I am talking about:
>
>	<form action="[process href=search]">
>	<input type=text name=mv_searchtype value=text>
>	<input type=text name=mv_searchspec>
>	<input type=submit>
>	</form>
>
>That is all it takes to full-text search your products.txt files.

Should not the mv_searchtype actually be a TYPE=HIDDEN otherwise I ended
up with two input fields.  On changing that, when attempting a search, I
now then got:

  Sorry, the page () was not found

The requested page (unspecified error) was not found. You can return to
browsing our catalog
<http://ebiz.midwest-microwave.com/cgi-bin/mmb2c/main.html>, if you wish.

which tells me that it doesn't like the form action.  So, I found DB's
post last month about removing hyphens and changed the form action to
match his example, which was also my original form statement:

<form action="[area search]" method=post>

and it appears to work, though it doesn't appear to search 'all'
columns.  That aside for a moment, I still have a problem in that I must
be able to AND test the searches so that  results for inactive or out of
territory parts to not return.  For example, when I reinsert any code
for coordinating a search based on allowed regions, all return results fail:

        <form action="[area search]" method=post>
                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_coordinate VALUE=1>
                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_sort_field VALUE=category,sku>
                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_field VALUE=[scratch
AllowGroup]>
                <input type=hidden name=mv_substring_match value=0>
                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=eq>
                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_searchspec VALUE=X>
                <input type=hidden name=mv_searchtype value=text>
                <input type=text name=mv_searchspec>
                <input type=submit>
        </form>

and I'm presuming this is because the prior mv_search_field is mucking
up the overall mv_searchtype=text operation but adding the additional
parameters for a coordinated search didn't change the results, nor did
trying an asterisk for the mv_search_field for the last mv_searchspec
pairing:

        <form action="[area search]" method=post>
                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_sort_field VALUE=category,sku>

                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_coordinate VALUE=1>

                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_field VALUE=[scratch
AllowGroup]>
                <input type=hidden name=mv_substring_match value=0>
                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=eq>
                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_searchspec VALUE=X>

                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_field VALUE=*>
                <input type=hidden name=mv_substring_match value=1>
                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=rm>
                <input type=text name=mv_searchspec>

                <input type=hidden name=mv_searchtype value=text>
                <input type=submit>
        </form>

Is this a situation of having my cake and not being able to eat it too?
Can you point me to the docs page that actually discusses this so that I
can read and better understand the intent of the implementation?  I see
that this feature dates back very far, but looking through the archives,
I've also found a lot of variations to use this without luck as well as
passed parameters that I've never seen...

Best regards,

Barry

--

Barry Treahy, Jr                       E-mail: Treahy at MMaz.com
Midwest Microwave                          Phone: 480/314-1320