Working Re: [ic] HTdig or Googling a local IC Site for better search results on numerous columns

Barry Treahy, Jr. Treahy at MMaz.com
Thu Jul 29 13:24:33 EDT 2004

Barry Treahy, Jr. wrote:

> Mike Heins wrote:
>
>> There is nothing "sql query" about the search. I am talking about:
>>
>>     <form action="[process href=search]">
>>     <input type=text name=mv_searchtype value=text>
>>     <input type=text name=mv_searchspec>
>>     <input type=submit>
>>     </form>
>>
>> That is all it takes to full-text search your products.txt files.
>
> Should not the mv_searchtype actually be a TYPE=HIDDEN otherwise I
> ended up with two input fields.  On changing that, when attempting a
> search, I now then got:
>

>  Sorry, the page () was not found
>
> The requested page (unspecified error) was not found. You can return
> to browsing our catalog
> <http://ebiz.midwest-microwave.com/cgi-bin/mmb2c/main.html>, if you wish.
>
> which tells me that it doesn't like the form action.  So, I found DB's
> post last month about removing hyphens and changed the form action to
> match his example, which was also my original form statement:
>
> <form action="[area search]" method=post>
>
> and it appears to work, though it doesn't appear to search 'all'
> columns.  That aside for a moment, I still have a problem in that I
> must be able to AND test the searches so that  results for inactive or
> out of territory parts to not return.  For example, when I reinsert
> any code for coordinating a search based on allowed regions, all
> return results fail:
>
>        <form action="[area search]" method=post>
>                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_coordinate VALUE=1>
>                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_sort_field VALUE=category,sku>
>                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_field VALUE=[scratch
> AllowGroup]>
>                <input type=hidden name=mv_substring_match value=0>
>                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=eq>
>                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_searchspec VALUE=X>
>                <input type=hidden name=mv_searchtype value=text>
>                <input type=text name=mv_searchspec>
>                <input type=submit>
>        </form>
>
> and I'm presuming this is because the prior mv_search_field is mucking
> up the overall mv_searchtype=text operation but adding the additional
> parameters for a coordinated search didn't change the results, nor did
> trying an asterisk for the mv_search_field for the last mv_searchspec
> pairing:
>
>        <form action="[area search]" method=post>
>                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_sort_field VALUE=category,sku>
>
>                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_coordinate VALUE=1>
>
>                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_field VALUE=[scratch
> AllowGroup]>
>                <input type=hidden name=mv_substring_match value=0>
>                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=eq>
>                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_searchspec VALUE=X>
>
>                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_field VALUE=*>
>                <input type=hidden name=mv_substring_match value=1>
>                <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=rm>
>                <input type=text name=mv_searchspec>
>
>                <input type=hidden name=mv_searchtype value=text>
>                <input type=submit>
>        </form>

> [...]
Ok, I don't understand why, but I have it working just as I need.  By
removing the coordinated option from the search, the text based
searching with the proper matching, started to work.

If someone might know why, I'd appreciate an explanation so that I can
have a better understanding of IC Searching, but this doesn't make sense
to me...

Regards,

Barry

--

Barry Treahy, Jr                       E-mail: Treahy at MMaz.com
Midwest Microwave                          Phone: 480/314-1320