[ic] Installation on Redhat EL 3.0/Redhat 9/Fedora

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Sat Jul 31 14:09:56 EDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Armaghan Saqib wrote:

> Following release notes for RPM package, I tried to did the following
> things on RHEL 3.0 and failed on every thing:
> Enviornment: Full install of RHEL 3.0 (everything) with root user.
>
> 1. Compiled perl-5..src.rpm and tried installing it with Uvh. It gave
> dependencies errors and did not install.

The latest README.rpm-dist notes say you need to install Perl from source,
with threading disabled, into /usr/local. That's very straightforward but
must be done before anything else. Go to perl.com, download Perl 5.8.5,
build it with the default options: "./Configure -d", make, make test, and
as root, make install. Only once that is done should you install the CPAN
modules and build Interchange.

Jon