[ic] surviving upgrades

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Tue Jun 1 16:28:21 EDT 2004

Quoting Christopher J. Andre' (chris at tastingroom.com):
> Hello All,
>
> After almost 8 months in the making, I am just about to launch an
> interchange store for a winery client
> (http://inter.dev.atwss.com/cgi-bin/p2.html).  FWIW, I am not a
> programmer... but I have read just about every page of documentation on your
> site.
>
> When surfing the icdevgroup site, I noticed this on the 'about interchange'
> page:
>
> "If you need functionality that Interchange doesn't yet provide, it is easy
> to incorporate it yourself in an extensible way that survives upgrades. If
> you don't have the time or expertise to do so, there is a strong group of
> consultants who inhabit the the user mail list who can help you produce it."
>
> FYI, the store we've been working on is based on interchange 5.0.  I want
> the company I hired to upgrade the store to 5.2 so that the site could get
> the most recent security fixes.  Somehow they think this is a task that will
> take almost a week.

That's interesting. I consider it to be a 10-minute job, providing the
customizations were done using Interchange facilities like UserTag,
ActionMap, Autoload, and the other standard interfaces we provide.

If you hired someone who hacked on the core, shame on them. Customization
via UserTag should be zero problem to update from 5.0 to 5.2; there are
no incompatibilities that I know of.

--
Mike Heins

There's nothing sweeter than life nor more precious than time.
-- Barney