[ic] Installing Perl and Interchange 5.2

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Mon Jun 7 11:17:10 EDT 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Ed Waldspurger wrote:

> I am preparing to install Interchange 5.2 on SuSE Linux 9.1. I have looked
> through the docs, and have searched the mailing list archive, but still have
> a few questions.
>
> A threaded version of Perl is already installed on the box, so I am going to
> be compiling a non-threaded version of Perl. Should this be done as root, or
> as the user interch?

That's up to you. It's probably most useful to do it as root, as long as
you install into /usr/local and leave the SuSE Perl build the way it is.

> Will I be able to use the rpm to install Interchange, or will I have to
> build it from the tarball? Again, should this be done as root, or as
> interch?

The RPMs need to be installed as root. I don't know whether they'll work
on SuSE Linux or not; I've only tested them on Red Hat Linux and Fedora
Core.

> How can I ensure that Interchange will find the proper version of Perl?

Build your own RPM from source, and in the specfile there's an option at
the top specifying whether you're using a local perl build or not.

If you're not familiar with RPMs, it'll probably be easiest at this point
to install Interchange from the tarball as the interch user.

Jon