[ic] Building a new catalog system -- is it this complex?

Jeme jeme at rkdpp.com
Thu Jun 10 09:49:20 EDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:25:42 -0400
Mike Heins <mike at perusion.com> wrote:
> Quoting Jeme (jeme at rkdpp.com):
> > Let's say we sell workbenches. We have 4 styles of bench in 4
> > colors. Each table comes with a cover in one of 30 colors
> > (customer's choice). They each come with a choice of 2 types of
> > rolling casters in one of the four bench colors (they don't have to
> > match the bench), except one model which comes with rubber feet, but
> > can be given casters for an upcharge. That's several hundred
> > variations. Do I have to create each product in my products table
> > first? Our old system is on paper and we just check the boxes for
> > all the features and colors. There really aren't separate SKUs for
> > each entity.
>
> This is exactly what Simple options are for. You can have as many
> as you like for one SKU.

OK, so far, so good... But that's not very far and not very good.

Using an empty foundation store, I've started modifying things to make
something that just starts to work.

I've added some of the simple products, but when it comes to things that
need options, I'm hitting a wall.

Using the admin interface, I select a product with SKU "AC001" that I'd
just created.  This product can vary two simple ways: length and weight,
so I select the "options" tab.  There are radio buttons for the type of
option, so I select "Simple" and hit "update".  The screen appears to
refresh, but nothing changes.  If I try to do it again, I get a message
that says, "table options: set_slice error as called by
Vend::Interpolate: DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR: parser: parse
error at or near "WHERE" at /usr/lib/interchange/Vend/Table/DBI.pm line
1245. query was:update options SET WHERE code = 'AC001' values were:''"

Inspecting the "options" table in the database, I see that there is a
single record with a single value in the "code" field set to "AC001".

Does that seem wrong?

This is Debian stable using the packages retrieved using the
icdevgroup.org apt source (which are at 5.0.1 and that seems a bit odd).

Any help appreciated.

Oh, and the documentation wiki that should be at <URL:
http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/doc/ > is unavailable.  I get the
interchange server is not available message.

Thanks.
J.