[ic] ic process 25% system load

Carsten Jahnke carstenjahnke at web.de
Fri Jun 11 11:16:51 EDT 2004

Jon Jensen wrote:

> it's a real dual Xeon machine! Didn't know that...
>>But ps ax |grep interchange shows me, that there's only 1 interchange
>>process running.
>>Wouldn't it be best to set
>>PreFork Yes
>>StartServers 4
>>in interchange.cfg to speeeed it up ?
>

> No. Everything's fine the way it is. When you have 4 concurrent page views
> then they'll operate in parallel (assuming system resources permit). But
> Interchange isn't multithreaded, so a single page view can only use one
> processor at a time.
>
>>From what I understand, using "25%" load on a hyperthreaded dual-proc
> machine is still able to use 50% of the actual horsepower.

Ok, dual hyperthreaded doesn't really mean the power of 4. But if
Interchange is singlethreaded how can it handle 4 or more page requests
simultaneously with 1 running process?
Does it really use the full power of these 2 greedy Xeon horses?

For me "2 working processes on 2 CPUs" sounds better somehow :)

--
Carsten Jahnke

email: carstenjahnke at web.de