[ic] ./configure problems?

Grant emailgrant123b at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 12:26:36 EDT 2004

--- "New Media E.M.S." <ic_users at newmediaems.com>
wrote:
> At 09:28 PM 6/21/2004, you wrote:
>
> >--- Grant <emailgrant123b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I'm trying to install IC myself for the first
> time.
> > > downloaded the 5.2 tarball, untared it, then ran
> > > ../configure which seemed to stall part-way
> through.
> > >
> > > Then I did:
> > >
> > > perl -MCPAN -e 'install
> > > Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink'
> > >
> > > and when that completed I tried ./configure
> again,
> > > but
> > > it seems to have stalled again.  The last three
> > > lines
> > > I see are:
> > >
> > > 6 tests run, all tests successful.
> > >
> > > Writing
> > >
> /usr/local/interchange/auto/Interchange/.packlist
> > >
> > > /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL force nocpaninstall=
> > > final=/usr/local/interchange
> > >
> > > Is it "so far so good", or "return to go"?
> > >
> > > - Grant
> >
> >Now the furthest I can get in makecat gives me
> >uninitialized value errors like the one described
> >here:
> >

>http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/docfly.html?mv_arg=icfaq03%2e06
> >
> >Could this be happening because ./configure didn't
> >complete properly?
> >
> >- Grant
>
> This is almost certainly permissions - are you
> running makecat as root or
> as the interchange user?  When installing catalogs
> in multiple-group mode
> (M), be root when installing interchange and running
> makecat (but ownership
> of interchange should be assigned to user interch
> and the catalog user
> should be a normal user) and you will not have this
> problem.
>
> - Ed

I'm running makecat as root, and setting it up for U
mode.

I think most of the makecat process completed.  It
seemed to be trying to set up interchange.cfg right
before I got the uninitialized value errors, so I
copied one from the dist and tried to start IC as
root:

The Interchange server must not be run as root.

and then as interch (my Interchange and Catalog user):

Could not open error file
'/usr/local/interchange/error.log':
Permission denied

Like you said, I think my permissions and maybe
ownerships may be very wrong.  I haven't been paying
attention to them at all throughout this process.

My error log is this:

-rw-r--r--

and everything in /usr/local/interchange is root and
root (ls -alF).  The first denotes ownership and the
second is what?

- Grant