[ic] ready to pay for Interchange::Link help

Mark Weaver mark at americanmicroinc.com
Wed Jun 23 07:59:21 EDT 2004

Grant wrote:
> --- Mark Weaver <mark at americanmicroinc.com> wrote:
>
>>Grant wrote:
>>
>>>I'm getting:
>>>
>>>We're sorry, the Interchange server is
>>
>>unavailable...
>>
>>>with the IC server running.  The following says
>>
>>this
>>
>>>is most likely due to my cgi-bin:
>>>

> http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/docfly.html?mv_arg=icfaq05%2e02
>
>>>Instead of troublshooting that, it makes more
>>
>>sense to
>>
>>>me to set up the new Interchange::Link (from what

>>>understand this eliminates the need for
>>
>>tlink/vlink)
>>
>>>since that's the configuration I want to end up on
>>>anyway.
>>>
>>>There doesn't seem to be any documentation on
>>
>>that,
>>
>>>and I'm looking to pay someone to help me set that
>>>up(preferrably via email only).  Please let me
>>
>>know if
>>
>>>you can help.
>>>
>>>- Grant
>>
>>Grant,
>>
>>What method of installation did you use to install
>>IC and what steps
>>did you go through to set things up?
>>
>>OS?
>>PERL?
>>Database?
>>
>>--
>>Mark
>

> I used the 5.2 tarball on Gentoo Linux.  My perl is
> 5.8.2-r1 (threads disabled), and I plan to end up on
> mySQL when I'm done but I've been specifying the
> default DB in makecat.
>
> I downloaded the tarball from ftp.icdevgroup.org
> directly to my server, untared it, ran ./configure
> which didn't seem to finish, installed
> Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink, ran ./configure again
> which didn't seem to finish again, ran makecat many
> times until I got to what I think was almost the end,
> moved the interchange.cfg.dist file to act as my
> interchange.cfg, manually compiled the tlink and vlink
> files, moved my vlink file to my cgi-bin, and followed
> the instructions for changing the ownerships of the
> vlink file.  I might be missing something or stating
> something incorrectly, but that's pretty close.  I can
> now start the IC server with a PID and no errors in
> the error.log, but I get the IC server unavailable
> message.  Thanks for reading!
>
> - Grant

Ok...What you mean want to do is install the other perl modules which I
believe are the kitchen sink bunch. ( you can find the references is the
readme file that came with the tarball. ) Once those are installed I
would recommend starting from scratch with the install. What that
involves is removing the /usr/local/interchange directory and everything
in it. That will effectively uninstall interchange from your machine.

Next, start the install all over again and this time specify MySQL
during the installation if that is the db you plan to use with IC. Its
far less trouble to do that during the install and have it ready to go
when the IC is done installing, then to convert IC to use MySQL after
you've got things going.

During the install you'll be asked about your webserver and IC's
directory where you're going to install the link for the cart. The
easiest way to handle this is simply to place the excutable in
/var/www/cgi-bin and have the IC's folder placed in
/var/www/html/your_store_name.

Everything else is pretty much straightforward, although going through
it the first time can be somewhat confusing if you're not familiar with
webserver's and how they and their filesystems operate.

--
Mark Weaver
American Micro - Webmaster