[ic] modify search to ignore hyphens - how to use [filter word]

DB DB at M-and-D.com
Thu Jun 24 08:24:35 EDT 2004

> I'm using a 4.8.9/foundation catalog and want to create a search form
> that will ignore hyphens. For example I want a search for: ABCDE to
> return as a match: A-B-CDE
>
> and a search for: A-BCDE to return as a match: ABCDE
>
> With my present search form shown below of course this doesn't happen.
>
> <input type=hidden name=mv_session_id value="[data session id]">
> <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_searchtype VALUE=text>
> <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_matchlimit VALUE=[control matches 25]>
> <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_sort_field VALUE=category>
> <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=rm>
> <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_case VALUE=no>
> <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_substring_match VALUE=yes>
> <INPUT MAXLENGTH=30 NAME=mv_searchspec type=text size=10>
> <input type="image" alt="Search Go" border="0"
> src="__THEME_IMG_DIR__go.gif">
>
> Sounds like perl's substitution functionality would be the answer but
> I'm not much of a perl coder. Any perl wizards out there have a solution?
>

> DB

Ok after more reading I've just discovered the [filter word] tag and
that looks like it does what just I want! How would I execute that
filter on the mv_searchspec variable prior to running the search in the
above form?

DB