[ic] spawn error in rpc mode -- 'products not a database'

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Thu Mar 11 12:07:10 EST 2004

Quoting Jack Cushman (jc at alexinteractive.com):
> Hi --
> I'm seeing intermittent Internal Server Errors when running IC 5 in rpc
> mode. The error is
> "Died in server spawn: products not a database, cannot use as products
> file"

I don't see this one, and I run a few busy sites in Prefork/rpc

> (though I've also seen "Died in server spawn: Can't call method "new"
> on an undefined value at /usr/local/interchange/lib/Vend/Data.pm line
> 751." -- that may be a separate issue)

I have seen this one. This is an error where for some reason the
dummy database object generation doesn't work -- it always seems
to be for a table that is referenced and does not exist, meaning
that it has been auto-vivified somewhere.

I made a change to 5.1/cvs which evals the object creation and
throws an error instead when you can't create a dummy database. It
still happens, but is not fatal.

> Searching the archives, I see the first error coming up frequently upon
> startup for a misconfigured catalog. Since my catalog runs well upon
> startup, and then throws this error, I'm thinking it must be one of
> those problems with config variables not being passed to newly spawned
> threads in RPC mode. Can anyone shed more light?
> I'm running Interchange version 5.0.0,  perl v5.8.3 built for
> i686-linux. Under -V perl says "usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef
> useithreads=undef usemultiplicity=undef", so I suspect perl threads are
> off. Let me know if there's any other config information that would be
> useful.

You might try setting in your environment:

That will change Perl's signal handling model back to the old 5.6
and before version, and it may change the situation. I have been
running with this and had no problems at all.

Mike Heins

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in
overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Edison