[ic] Restricting search to certain fields

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sat Mar 13 12:41:25 EST 2004

Interchange User [interchange at framework.cx] wrote:
> I am running IC 5.0 with a text products database.  When I run the
> code below, it ends up searching all database fields (artist, title,
> and genre).  So for example, if I type "stone" in the Artist field
> (hoping to find Rolling STONEs), among the results will be Bob Dylan's
> "Everybody Must Get STONEd."  What am I missing that will restrict my
> searches to the desired field only?
>
> I have the following code, adapted from the demo at
>
> http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/docfly.html?mv_arg=icdatabase06%2e04

You went straight to the code and missed the text - specifically
this part, right at the top of the page you quoted:

    Interchange will do a complete range of tests on individual columns
    in the database.  To use this function, set mv_coordinate to Yes
    (co=yes in the one-click syntax).

Which means that you need this in your form:

    <input type="hidden" name="mv_coordinate" value="yes">

Going directly to the code isn't a bad thing, but the text sometimes
helps when the supplied code appears to fail. :-)

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz