[ic] Lingering interchange processes + too many open files

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 10:09:05 EST 2004

If I stop the interchange server with:

su -c "/opt/interchange/bin/interchange -stop" - interch

a number of interchange processes still remain, i.e. "ps -aux|grep
interchange" still lists some interchange processes which I then have to
kill off with "killall -9 interchange"

What might be causing these lingering processes (which it seems can either
be dead, sleeping or running)??

Occassionally my server "stops working" and at the shell prompt I just get
"Too many open files" in response to any and every command.  I have to close
my ftp session or whatever (to free up some files no doubt), before I can
even do anything else.  I feel that this problem may be related to the
"dead" interchange processes holding onto files.

Are or could these problems be related??  I believe that it is possible to
increase the allowed number of open files - can anyone explain how to do
this, together with an idea of what reasonable open files count might be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.