[ic] shipping charges and weights...

New Media E.M.S. ic_users at newmediaems.com
Thu May 20 15:57:12 EDT 2004

At 03:27 PM 5/20/2004 -0400, you wrote:

>someone
>lbs.
>have

> > >Wow, someone looking for the same thing I have been!  I doubt you will
> > >find pricing/zone tables for
> > >LTL shipping.  According to the information supplied by the shipping
> > >director at my place of
> > >employment it's pretty much impossible to accurately price trucking
> > >costs.  There are too many
> > >variables, like ship date, fuel surcharges (which can vary day to day),
>etc.
> > >
> > >The best candidate I've found for a price quoting system is this:
> > >http://www.abfs.com/ecommerce/tlinks/tl_aquote.asp
> > >
> > >I don't know Perl well enough to do anything with it though.
> > >The option I've ended up going with for now to handle heavy shipments is
> > >adding two "free" options.
> > >One for Ship Collect (customer supplies their shipping account number)
>and
> > >another for PPA
> > >(pre-pay & add; we pay shipping then bill customer for actual shipping
> > >charges)
> >
> > I have a written and tag to query the CON-WAY (http://www.con-way.com) LTL
> > rate quoting interface. I  had intended to include it with the 5.2
>release,
> > but never got around to it. It's not perfect; one particular irritation
> > (which may have been corrected) was that the registration you are required
> > to have to use their interface would expire if you went three months
> > without logging into their member area, even if you were querying quotes
> > via my tag all day, every day. I wrote to their development team about
> > this, but I don't know if they ever did anything about it.
> >
> > In any case, I may attempt to incorporate this into the next release; it
> > will require some work, because as it stands now it does not work with the
> > standard foundation demo shipping mode selection motif.
> >
> > - Ed
> >
>Hi Ed,
>
>Thanks for trying this, I do not know how many others this would benefit But
>I would greatly appreciate it. As I said we use Fed Ex Freight which is
>nation wide. I could inquire with my acct rep @ fed ex to see if they have
>something available. What should I ask them for?
>
>Thanks Again
>Scott Martin

Scott -

Before you contact FedEx, you might want to contact the author of the
Business::Fedex.pm module,   Francois Belanger (francois at sitepak.com), and
see if his existing code can support the FedEx freight service. It is
general enough that it might do it with little or no modification. Since
the Interchange [fedex_query] tag utilizes this module, it could be short
work from that point to get their freight service into the loop.

- Ed

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          edl at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax