[ic] Importing tab-delimited file into Postgres fails

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Mon Nov 1 13:05:21 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Rene Hertell wrote:

> I have a tab-delimited file that I would need to reimport into an empty
> postgres table, but it fails with the following error:
> [01/November/2004:13:14:34 +0200] - - set_row error: ERROR:  invalid
> input syntax for integer: ""
> [01/November/2004:13:14:34 +0200] - - table 'tittelit' failed: tittelit
> import into  failed: set_row error: ERROR:  invalid input syntax for
> integer: "" at /usr/local/interchange/lib/Vend/Table/DBI.pm line 1391.
> My code-field (primary key) is an auto sequence field, and the rows I
> want to reimport have this value already set... I guess that this
> import-process does not work because of this...

I don't think that's your problem. The error message spells it out: your
field "tittelit" is an integer field, but you're trying to import an empty
string, which isn't valid. You need to import either a number or a NULL.
In Interchange's database configuration try the PREFER_NULL setting for
that field. Or use PostgreSQL's native COPY command and put \N in that
field where you want it to be null.

Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation
Software development with Interchange, Perl, PostgreSQL, Apache, Linux, ...