[ic] creating a new account

Ethan Rowe ethan at endpoint.com
Tue Nov 16 07:02:47 EST 2004

Scott Andreas wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 17:02, Joshua Lavin wrote:
>

>>On Nov 15, 2004, at 1:40 PM, Scott Andreas wrote:
>>

>>>I'm trying to have the users create an account before checkout. Is
>>>what I want it to do is auto assign the username with the next
>>>username.autonumber sequence. Since I'm using email as the login
>>>feature I want the user to enter his/her email address and a verified
>>>password . After which it should take them to the new_account page.
>>>

>all ready have that set is what I'm trying to do is if the user isn't
>logged in the checkout page it will bounce to login.html which does
>work. The new user would use email and a verified password that would
>automatically use the username.autonumber sequence for username.

If you want the email field to be what the user enters to identify
his/herself, then you need to use the "foreign key" option of the userdb
functions.  When a value is provided in mv_username for any of the
userdb functions, it is assumed that the value corresponds to the
username column of your userdb table.

For what you're attempting to work, you'll need, either as a "UserDB
foreign" directive in catalog.cfg, or in a [userdb function=....
foreign=email] attribute in the userdb tag.

Passing the name of your email column with the "foreign" attribute in
this fashion will still generate an automatic number for the username
column, but will have the contents of mv_username go into/compare
against the foreign column you specify, and for new accounts will ensure
that the new foreign column value is unique.

--
Ethan Rowe
End Point Corporation
ethan at endpoint.com