[ic] Restore inventory on cancelled orders.

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 12:25:41 EST 2004

> > I'm running a store based on the foundation demo using version 5.2
> > (upgraded from V5).
> >
> > If I cancel an order or a line item, the inventory associated with
> > any items in the order is unchanged. Is there a way to increment
> > inventory to reflect the fact that the item quantity associated with
> > the cancelled order is now available again?
> >
> > I was assuming I would need to use admin/order_status.html to cancel
> > the order (or line item), for which admin/order.html seems to provide
> > the form handling, but the inventory table is separate from the
> > transactions and orderline table, and I'm not sure how to get the
> > [table-editor] tag to cope with multiple tables.
> >
> > 1. Is there a simple configuration option that I've overlooked? 2. In
> > the admin pages is there anything which would allow me to insert an
> > additional step in the cancel order process to update inventory? 3.
> > If I need to modify the code, could someone point me at the code I
> > need to review? 4. Or am I stuck with manipulating inventory manually
> > every time an order is cancelled?
>

> Hi ICers,
>
> I'm also wondering about this issue. I have a client who uses the
> inventory feature and has been asking if there's a way to easily add
> back to inventory when an order is canceled or fraudulent.
>
> Haven't seen an answer yet, so I thought I'd bump this one.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

I think everyone is going to run into this type of problem sooner or
later.  The UI can't be expected to handle all the different ways
different businesses work.  My solution was to use the UI like a set
of training wheels while you build two main types of pages for your
own UI.  With custom-built pages designed to search your database, and
custom-built pages designed to manipulate your database (plus other
stuff) you can have a much more functional UI.  It's extremelly easy
to do with the tools IC provides.  If you can customize the front-end,
you can definitely customize the back-end.  It's really much easier.

For example, you could build a page with the simple "logged in or not"
check at the top, and a text input element and submit button.  The
submitted form takes the value of the input element (order number)
and:

1. changes the order's status to "canceled"
2. increments the inventory of the items in the order

Let me know if you have any questions.  This works very well for me.

- Grant