[ic] Encrypting password

Ethan Rowe ethan at endpoint.com
Tue Nov 23 22:06:08 EST 2004

The Disguised Jedi wrote:

>Great...that worked.  Now my plan is that when people request a
>password, I can just generate a temporary new one and e-mail it to
>them.  I don't like being able to see people's passwords, it could be
>the password they use everywhere!

Glad that it worked for you.

>Just out of curiousity, does this sound like a reasonable thing to do?

Definitely.

Incidentally, if you ever need to manually alter/set a password, you can
use (from your shell command line):
perl -e "print crypt('new_password', 'S0m3Rand0mStr1ng')"

Where 'new_password' corresponds to the new password you want and the
other string is just a random string of junk. The output of this command
can be put into the password field for a particular user record, and
then that user can use "new_password". Of course, the new password is
visible in the shell's command history, but for a temporary measure it's
sometimes handy, particularly for admin access...

--
Ethan Rowe
End Point Corporation
ethan at endpoint.com