[ic] Interchange on Debian

Davor Ocelic docelic at mail.inet.hr
Tue Oct 12 06:09:17 EDT 2004

> I've set up a dev server with Sarge (because it looks like it is likely
> to go stable in the next few weeks)

This is nice, Jamie. Note, however, that Debian GNU after version Woody
(3.0) uses threaded Perl in default installation. (And "few weeks" will
actually be multiplied by an yet-unknown factor ;-)

The possible solution is to either use the non-threaded-perl Debian
packages announced to this list some month ago (not tested by myself)
or, since I always planned to do that myself, I could make the
packages for both of us.

> and am slowly becoming acclimitised
> to the Debian way of doing things.

For an introduction to Debian way of doing thins, you can check
out my Hands-on Debian Guide at http://colt.projectgamma.com/debguide.html

> However I am still getting to grips
> with apt (devoted yum user) and in particular I can't work out how to
> get interchange 5.2.0 installed from unstable. At the moment I have
> resorted to downloading the deb files and installing them with dpkg but
> I kind of feel that I'm working around the problem rather than fixing
> it.

Well, for only few packages, this approach is tolerable. You might want
to check out http://ftp.icdevgroup.org/interchange/debian/5.2.0/ and
adjust your /etc/apt/sources.list as described at the bottom of the page.

Then,
apt-get update; apt-get install interchange interchange-ui interchange-cat-foundation

> The Interchange directory layout feels pretty alien too when
> compared to the Redhat RPMs.

Check out Debian notes on the mentioned page, and in
/usr/share/doc/interchange*/ after you install the packages.

Regards,
-docelic at icdevgroup.org