[ic] Interchange on Debian

Jamie Neil jamie at versado.net
Tue Oct 12 07:00:38 EDT 2004

Davor Ocelic wrote:
>>I've set up a dev server with Sarge (because it looks like it is likely
>>to go stable in the next few weeks)
>
> This is nice, Jamie. Note, however, that Debian GNU after version Woody
> (3.0) uses threaded Perl in default installation. (And "few weeks" will
> actually be multiplied by an yet-unknown factor ;-)

I'm not holding my breath, but with the new installer nearly released it
can't be too long now.

> The possible solution is to either use the non-threaded-perl Debian
> packages announced to this list some month ago (not tested by myself)
> or, since I always planned to do that myself, I could make the
> packages for both of us.

I actually expected apt to complain about that, but it installed fine
and the foundation shop seems to work ok. The Redhat version won't
install without force if you have a threaded perl. Maybe it will fail
under load...

> For an introduction to Debian way of doing thins, you can check
> out my Hands-on Debian Guide at http://colt.projectgamma.com/debguide.html

Thanks - I will check it out.

>>However I am still getting to grips
>>with apt (devoted yum user) and in particular I can't work out how to
>>get interchange 5.2.0 installed from unstable. At the moment I have
>>resorted to downloading the deb files and installing them with dpkg but
>>I kind of feel that I'm working around the problem rather than fixing
>>it.
>
> Well, for only few packages, this approach is tolerable. You might want
> to check out http://ftp.icdevgroup.org/interchange/debian/5.2.0/ and
> adjust your /etc/apt/sources.list as described at the bottom of the page.
>
> Then,
> apt-get update; apt-get install interchange interchange-ui interchange-cat-foundation

I tried this, but I ended up with v5.0.1 which is the "stable" version.
There doesn't seem to be a current version for testing - only unstable -
hence my question about running a mixed system.

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254