AW: [ic] Different Domainnames for one Shop

Ed LaFrance (New Media E.M.S.) ic_users at newmediaems.com
Tue Oct 12 10:44:59 EDT 2004

At 11:27 PM 10/11/2004, you wrote:

>Hallo Tom.
>
> > I am not sure what you are asking exaclty, or what your purpose
> > is, but cant
> > you just set up ServerAlias in the httpd.conf file
> > ServerName example.com
> > ServerAlias example.net example.org example.jp example.fr www.example.com
>
>Thanks for your idea.
>
>The problem is not the HTTP server, it's more an Interchange problem that
>you configure a static server name in the variable database.
>Example :
>You open the url www.example.com. The SERVER_NAME is set to www.example.net.
>In the moment you hit a link on the website the url will change from
>www.example.com to www.example.net.
>Some users can be confused about that.
>
>I'll have a look about that what Sandy had written a few days ago.
>
>Regards,
>
>Lars

I coded this before, for a client, some time ago. I'm not sure if the ever
used it. The basic approach was to first set apache to use the same IP,
document root and script alias for the various different domain names. Then
the key variables, such as SERVER_NAME, were defined directly in
catalog.cfg (instead of variable.txt) with their initial values. Finally, a
block of Perl in an Autoload would examine the inbound URL modify the
values of the key catalog variables accordingly. In the case of this
client, store names, logos, order emails, and other things were dependent
on the domain name, my code did a lookup in a table that was keyed on
domain to get the other values.

I spent a bit of time looking through my archives to see if I could post it
for you, but I was unable to locate a copy, and it has been so long...

- Ed

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          Ed.LaFrance at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax