[ic] User tracking

Jamie Neil jamie at versado.net
Thu Oct 21 06:53:27 EDT 2004

I've found the usertrack file very useful for both troubleshooting and
generating accurate ROI stats etc. However when you're serving 500K
pages per month it quickly grows unmanagable, so I've been rotating it
once a month and compressing and archiving the old logs.

This works ok but means that only the current months stats are easily
available to me for producing reports. What I'd like to do is log the
same kind of information to an SQL database which will (hopefully) be
more scalable and faster/easier when generating reports.

Has anyone done this and if so could they give me some tips? I was
thinking about putting a block of perl in an Autoload, but I'm not sure
whether this is the best approach.

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254