[ic] HELP - Inktomisearch stuck on ord/basket.html page

Andrew Rich andrew at mapsdownunder.com.au
Mon Oct 25 20:56:21 EDT 2004

> --- Andrew Rich <andrew at itdownunder.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > I have resubmitted this message as I have received no reply and
really
> > need some help.  With Inktomisearch resulting in higher load I am
> > experiencing  high traffic problems of occasional PGP and Sendmail
> > failures.  Obviously setting high traffic mode would help with the
> > failures but does not treat the problem of 10000s of hits on this
page.

> > RH 7.2
> > MYSQL 3.23.58
> > IC 5.3.0-200410080658
> > Perl 5.6.1
> >
> > I have been having a problem of Inktomisearch getting stuck on our
> > ord/basket.html page.
> >
> > I initially stopped it by adding an entry to robots.txt for
> > /cgi-bin/cartname/ord/basket.html and this pushed it off the page.
> >
> > I then thought orders were reduced and removed the entry from
> > robots.txt.  Inktomisearch came back and became stuck on the page
again.

> What do you mean by 'stuck'? I assume you mean that when you add an
item
> to the
> cart, you return to the search results page? I haven't tried it
personally
> but
> I believe you can use mv_nextpage to specify where to send the user
(cart
> page,
> etc.)
> http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/docfly.html?mv_arg=ictemplates10%2e01

No I mean that Inktomisearch has got stuck on the ord/basket page of the
site, in the logs inktomisearch only seems to access this one page or
finds this page and doesn't leave it.  Other search engines like google,
msn, fastsearch just keep going ok.

> > I upgraded from 4.8.9 to 5.3 and again it is still getting stuck but
no
> > session are generated now no I am not running out of disk space
anymore!

> > Last month I believe it generated at least an extra 18Gb of traffic!
>
> Your HTML page is bloated. A simple search page was 100KB in size, not
> counting
> all of the images. I would suggest looking into compression utilities
and
> removing commented code and any unnecessary HTML. You can optimize
your
> graphics by using a free tool such as
> http://www.netmechanic.com/accelerate.htm

Oh dear! Is this too much text or is mainly the menu that is making the
file bloated?  Is anyone using mod_gzip with interchange?

> > This additional traffic has caused a few high traffic problems with
> > failed e-mail and pgp failures also.
> >
> > We have removed all entries from robots.txt at the moment.
> >
> > Is there any changes we can make?
>
> Make sure you are doing a timed-build on  your left nav bar - it is
fairly
> large and complex. You might want to consider doing the same for your
home
> page
> if it doesn't change too often.

Yes we are using the product tree component.  We are only building this
menu with Prod_Groups and Category but it is still very large.  We then
show it again on other pages.

I have seen the option for timed-build in places but do not understand
the concept.  I had better do some research there!

Regards,
Andrew Rich