[ic] HELP - Inktomisearch stuck on ord/basket.html page

Mark Little mlittle13 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 00:15:52 EDT 2004

--- Andrew Rich <andrew at mapsdownunder.com.au> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > RH 7.2
> > > MYSQL 3.23.58
> > > IC 5.3.0-200410080658
> > > Perl 5.6.1
> > >
> > > I have been having a problem of Inktomisearch getting stuck on our
> > > ord/basket.html page.
> > >
> > > I initially stopped it by adding an entry to robots.txt for
> > > /cgi-bin/cartname/ord/basket.html and this pushed it off the page.
> > >
> > > I then thought orders were reduced and removed the entry from
> > > robots.txt.  Inktomisearch came back and became stuck on the page
> again.
> > >

> > What do you mean by 'stuck'? I assume you mean that when you add an
> item
> > to the
> > cart, you return to the search results page? I haven't tried it
> personally
> > but
> > I believe you can use mv_nextpage to specify where to send the user
> (cart
> > page,
> > etc.)
> > http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/docfly.html?mv_arg=ictemplates10%2e01
> >

> No I mean that Inktomisearch has got stuck on the ord/basket page of the
> site, in the logs inktomisearch only seems to access this one page or
> finds this page and doesn't leave it.  Other search engines like google,
> msn, fastsearch just keep going ok.
>

> > > I upgraded from 4.8.9 to 5.3 and again it is still getting stuck but
> no
> > > session are generated now no I am not running out of disk space
> anymore!
> > >
> > > Last month I believe it generated at least an extra 18Gb of traffic!
> >
> > Your HTML page is bloated. A simple search page was 100KB in size, not
> > counting
> > all of the images. I would suggest looking into compression utilities
> and
> > removing commented code and any unnecessary HTML. You can optimize
> your
> > graphics by using a free tool such as
> > http://www.netmechanic.com/accelerate.htm
>
> Oh dear! Is this too much text or is mainly the menu that is making the
> file bloated?  Is anyone using mod_gzip with interchange?
>
> > > This additional traffic has caused a few high traffic problems with
> > > failed e-mail and pgp failures also.
> > >
> > > We have removed all entries from robots.txt at the moment.
> > >
> > > Is there any changes we can make?
> >
> > Make sure you are doing a timed-build on  your left nav bar - it is
> fairly
> > large and complex. You might want to consider doing the same for your
> home
> > page
> > if it doesn't change too often.
> >

> Yes we are using the product tree component.  We are only building this
> menu with Prod_Groups and Category but it is still very large.  We then
> show it again on other pages.
>
> I have seen the option for timed-build in places but do not understand
> the concept.  I had better do some research there!

Basically, if your menu doesn't change that often, you can use a [timed-build]
command around the category_vertical component to 'cache' the categories.

The resulting javascript is still fairly large. If your menu never changes, or
rarely changes (once a month), you may want to consider putting that javascript
in an external .js file and including it!