[ic] Import orders from external data

DB DB at M-and-D.com
Sat Oct 30 10:34:41 EDT 2004

>> In addition to the normal orders from my IC site, I also get orders
>> from an external non-IC source. These order contain all the info I
>> need such as name, address, items, payment info etc. They arrive in
>> XML format, but I can easily extract the data to some type of text
>> format.. tab delimited for example.
>>
>> I'm running 4.8.9 but will soon be upgrading to 5.2 or whatever is
>> current when I get around to upgrading.
>>
>> What would be the best way to convert these external orders into
>> normal orders in my IC site? I could import the data into the
>> transactions and orderline tables, but what about generating the
>> order numbers? Any advice or existing code?
>
> Either you can use a script for the import or an Interchange job.
> For generating order numbers you can use the same mechanism as
> Interchange (counter files) or switch Interchange to use MySQL's auto
> increment for generating order numbers:
>
> Route default sql_counter "transactions:transactions (code)"
>
> Bye
> 	Racke

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like this might not be as difficult as I
thought. I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

By "use a script for the import" I assume you mean importing the text
file data directly into the mysql tables? This would not generate the
emails that the merchant receives.. correct?

I do not know what you mean by "an Interchange job" - when I search the
archives for that I find posts about employment :) Can you explain
Interchange jobs or point to some docs?

Thanks!

DB