[ic] Sessions no longer preserve "sameness" of references

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Fri Sep 10 22:01:21 EDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Andrew Shelansky wrote:

> For the past couple years I ran Interchange 4.8.x on Red Hat 7.0/7.2.
>
> We recently upgraded to Interchange 5.0.x, and I encountered an
> interesting problem.
[snip]

Is the Interchange upgrade absolutely the only thing that changed on your
system? Did you also upgrade Perl, or Storable, or the whole OS?

Also, could you explain the context where you're setting the referent and
the reference? It's possible that something in the newer Interchange is
making a copy of the %$Scratch space and then you're making a reference to
the copy.

In your example there's an error:

$Scratch->{my_object} = {
                            name => "myName",
                            height => "5 foot 7",
                            weight => "150 lbs"
                         };

I have another object in the session, for example:
$Scratch->{my_other_object} = {
                      name => "myOtherName",
                      spiffy_ref => \($Session->{my_object}{height})
                              };

You use \($Session->{my_object}{height}) but $Session != $Scratch. But I
assume that's just a typo and not your actual problem.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation - http://www.endpoint.com/