[ic] OrderProfile and taxes

Ed LaFrance (New Media E.M.S.) ic_users at newmediaems.com
Tue Sep 14 13:07:38 EDT 2004

At 08:25 AM 9/14/2004, you wrote:

>Hi,
>Can someone explain to me how the OrderProfiles work, and how they apply
>the taxes in the orders, and is it posible to define diferent checkout
>proceses, for example, for international orders and US orders another?
>
>Thanks
>Daniel Castro

Order profiles validate the various inputs provided by the customer at
checkout time, to ensure that data conforms to minimum requirements before
the order can be submitted successfully. Profiles can also control
subroutine calls and the setting of values as part of the checkout process.
Take a look at the foundation demo profiles in etc/profiles.order, and read
up on "Advanced Multi-Level Order Pages" in the Interchange Ecommerce
Functions docs.

Taxes are generally not controlled by order profiles - the Salestax
functions are what you need to look at for that. Generally speaking, Taxes
in Interchange are triggered by geographic qualifiers like country and
state, but of course you can roll your own routines from scratch if you are
so inclined.

Another aspect of the ordering process that warrants examination is the
Route directive, which allows you to define multiple processing steps to be
executed when an order is submitted. Take a look at the Route directives in
the foundation demo catalog.cfg, and read up on "Order Routing" in the
Interchange Database docs.

Hope this helps.

- Ed

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          Ed.LaFrance at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax