[ic] Re: First Timer Problems, yes i have RTFM'ed

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 12:27:10 EDT 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:52:16 +1000 (EST), miketan at multilearn.com
<miketan at multilearn.com> wrote:
> > miketan at multilearn.com wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for your reply,
> >>
> >> As my linux skills are 5 months old, theres probable a few fundamental
> >> flaws in my thinking, so thanks for putting up with me.
> >>
> >> i cant find free bsd 4.10 for sparc64, so i stuck with 5.1 NT.
> >
> > Maybe I missed your reasoning for wanting FreeBSD, but you could also
> > choose Debian as a linux distro. They have a Sparc port.
>
> I have been looking into debian as an alternative. is that more stable
> with ic.
> >
> > -Patrick

I would recommend you have a look at Gentoo also.  There's a new
ebuild for Interchange 5.2 available, but it isn't in Portage yet.
There's an article on Gentoo vs. Debian here:

http://www.tomvergote.be/writings/Linux/Debian-Gentoo-production-environment.html

that I think would sway just about anyone towards Debian, but if
Gentoo sounds intriguing, check it out here:

http://www.gentoo.org

Gentoo goes a long way toward making it easy to set up your system *your* way.

- Grant