[ic] Interchange running on a central server.

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Mon Sep 20 13:02:43 EDT 2004

Hey all, apologies if this is a frequently asked question (or a few).

I've just gotten interchange up and running under a single user account on
my server (I have root access).

Here are my specs:

Apache 1.3.31 (I RUN SUEXEC)
FreeBSD 4.10
Perl 5.6.1
Bundle::Interchange installed by root from CPAN

For the moment, I've got an interchange site running as a single user.
I've only installed the "foundation" store at the moment.  I did the
complete install as them, with the idea of running nothing centrally (at
first).

The more I look at it, the more it seems that for more than one site (each
site having a different login) I should be running against a single,
centralized interchange install, especially because the more I do
e-commerce, the heavier this is going to get on the system?

So, keeping in mind that I'm running suexec, what is the best way to run
interchange as one user (interchange) and allow other users (we'll call
them user1, user2, user3, etc, to have their own catalogs and content?

I would guess when running "makecat" as a the interchange user, it would
lack the permissions to install interchange into user1's site.  Does this
mean "makecat" should be run as root?

Are databases centralized?  Or is a mysql database required for each
store?  In this context, are DBM-based databases less secure than SQL?

-Dan

--

"I love you forever eternally."

-Connaian Expression