[ic] Rewriting URLs for SEO purposes - help!

Cameron G ritontor at icenet.com.au
Mon Apr 11 05:23:37 EDT 2005

Hi guys,

I'm certain I'm not the first person in the history of IC to want to do
this, and right now I'm pulling my hair out in frustration. Here's the deal.

We've all seen /scan/ URLs in IC, right?
http://www.store.com/scan/st=db/co=yes/sf=prod_group/se=product_to_find, or
whatever it needs to be for your specific search. Well, that URL is all well
and fine, and it works perfectly, but it's terrible for search engines. What
I'd really really like to do is be able to use
http://www.store.com/something/product.htm, and have that as the URL
displayed to the browser. Simple enough?

I've tried action maps. I either completely suck at action maps, or I just
completely don't understand them. I'm not even certain action maps are
suitable for this type of task. Next up, I tried URL rewrites - something
I've done in the past with a fair amount of success, using them to 301 to a
cgi-binless URL after installing mod_interchange. So, I try this:

RewriteEngine on
#cgi-bin removing rule
RewriteRule ^/cgi-bin/store/(.*) /$1 [R=301]
#rewrite for SEO
RewriteRule test/(.*)\.htm$ /scan/st=db/co=yes/sf=prod_group/se=$1 [L]

Which, if I were any less stupid, should work. However, it doesn't. Now, I
understand that this isn't an apache support forum, and I'm not really
asking for that, all I'm asking is: Surely, SURELY, someone has done this
sort of thing before with IC? Surely someone has hidden some goopy URLs away
from a client's browser before? I thought this stuff would be far easier
than it's proving to be so far. Any help at all that could point me in the
right direction would be overwhelmingly appreciated.

Regards,

Cameron