[ic] Rewriting URLs for SEO purposes - help!

Cameron G ritontor at icenet.com.au
Mon Apr 11 23:00:19 EDT 2005

It's not that they don't work in search engines, google will happily index
them, they're just not optimized. One little SEO tip is that search engines
love a keyword that has its own html page, and keyword density helps too,
meaning http://www.hammerstore.com/hammers/hammers.htm is going to rank
higher than
http://www.hammerstore.com/scan/st=db/co=yes/sf=prod_group/se=hammers.

http://www.hammerstore.com/hammers.htm is probably just about ideal. Google
seems to really like the (htm|html) extension.

> WRT th ActionMap, there is a pretty suitable example in the
> standard demo (from a nightly build or CVS) which does a
> prod_group/category search. It would be easily adapted --
> look for ncheck_category.
>
> Also, if you put in interchange.cfg:
>
> 	AcceptRedirect  Yes
>
> and in httpd.conf:
>
> 	<LocationMatch "/[^/]*.html?$">
> 	   ErrorDocument  404 /cgi-bin/store
> 	</LocationMatch>
>
> that will route not-found documents to Interchange with a
> path of /product_name.html. That can then be processed by the
> ActionMap.

Ok, that sounds cute, I will try using this in combination with the
actionmap that Jamie sent through, and see if I can't work out how to get
this all going. Thanks for the help everyone, I'm sure you'll be hearing
from me again very shortly ;)

Regards,

Cameron