[ic] postcode field in state database

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Thu Apr 14 05:09:05 EDT 2005

Jeff Fearn [jefffearn at gmail.com] write:
> On 4/13/05, Mike Heins <mike at perusion.com> wrote:
> > We try to discourage people from hacking on the core, since there is
> > almost always a way to add these types of features without doing
> > it. Hacking the core makes upgrades a nightmare, and I bet there
> > are a lot of people running 4.9.x for just such a reason. I
> > developed catalogs for 4.9.x and when 5.x versions come out, I just
> > upgrade over the top and it is almost always trouble-free.
> >
> Just to change tack for a minute, say I wanted to add some
> functionality to the cancel order process, such as generating an X12
> EDI 998 document to cancel a warehouse shipping order generated during
> the ordering process. How would I do that without hacking the
> update_order_status tag?

Possibly by adding your code into the "etc/ship_notice" file, which
will be called by the [update-order-status] tag if the "send_email"
parameter is true - or the user has specified that he wants emailed
notices (userdb.email_copy == true).

The "etc/ship_notice" doesn't have to send email;  You can make it do
anything you like.  Also, that file is not a part of the core, so it
will not be blindly overwritten as part of a future upgrade.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz