[ic] Lots of questions

Daniel Davenport ddavenport at newagedigital.com
Sun Apr 17 20:17:06 EDT 2005

> prtyof5 at attglobal.net 04/16/05 1:20 AM >>>
>> andreb at techess.com >>>
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am working on a project where I have 2 cat groups.. Clocks and Watches..
>>
>> Now I want to know if there can be two identical skus, but different product
>> groups, also if the sku can be an alphanumeric field.
>
>   I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong otherwise I'd say no you can
>duplicate SKUs because it is the SKU that is passed to the flypage and I
>believe in that scenario IC works from the bottom up.  Begins with the SKU
>and works it way up the product definition hierarchy.

Aside from how IC works....what's a sku if not a product's unique id?  Seems if one has two different products with the same sku, they'd have problems with their bookkeeping outside IC.
If the books track the category/group as well as the product's id, then it's more complicated than it has to be.  But it can be worked around somewhat by prepending, say, a C or W to the sku in interchange.

And btw, Andre, the above suggestion implies that the sku can have letters in it.  This is indeed the case...skus can have a-z, A-Z, 0-9, and _ in them without any problems.  There are other characters that also technically work, but you're asking for trouble if you use them.

/