[ic] UPS Fuel Surcharge and Extended Area Surcharges

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Tue Apr 19 11:19:35 EDT 2005

Louie Martinez [louie at kopykake.com] wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has tackled these additional surcharges with
> interchange. Right now I have been adding (@@TOTAL@@ * .025) in the
> additional shipping calculation to cover the ground surcharge and
> (@@TOTAL@@ * .095) to handle air and international surcharges, but there
> is also an extended area surcharge overseas and in Canada which is
> basically another fuel charge once your package gets into that country
> based on if your package is going to a major city or if it's headed to
> some small town out in the middle of nowhere. I can't just charge
> everyone the surcharge because it sometimes adds up to an additional $20
> to the shipping price depending on where it's being sent. In major cities
> there isn't a surcharge. So has anyone tackled this problem yet or will
> we be stuck with the daunting task of creating zone lookup charts for
> each country with the shipping to reflect the extended area surcharges.

Does your shipping provider have an online price lookup facility?
Prices returned from an online lookup should include all relevant
charges apart from tax.

If not, then you're going to have to come up with a list of areas
where surcharges are, or are not, levied.  Again, your shipping
provider might be able to help with that.

> *** END PGP VERIFIED MESSAGE ***

You don't need to PGP-sign the articles you post here, by the way.
I believe that you're you. :-)

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz