[ic] Switching from HIGH mode to RPC mode problem

Mark Bryant mark at eros-shop.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 21:06:08 EDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

In an attempt to prevent the odd order from arriving without it's credit
card number details when PGP fails under high server load, I've changed to
RPC mode as suggested by the many messages I read about it on google.

Now whenever a page contains a [perl][/perl] block, of which there are
quite a few, I now get this error message appearing in the log followed by
the block of perl concerned. The page name varies of course, but the error
remains the same.

[10/August/2005:16:12:21 +0000] eros /cgi-bin/eros/ord/basket.html Safe:
Can't locate object method "TIEHASH" via package "DBI::st" at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/DBI.pm line 1007.

I've googled loads for this error and I see lots of people talking about
it, but no one seems to give details of an appropriate fix. Please could
someone explain what I need to do to put this right. I don't really
understand why the [perl] blocks work in HIGH mode and not in RPC mode, but
I guess there's some complicated technical
reason why.

I've searched CPAN for DBI::st incase it's something I needed to install
but nothing seems to exist with that name:

cpan> i DBI::st
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
   Database was generated on Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:08:26 GMT
Strange distribution name [DBI::st]
No objects found of any type for argument DBI::st

I'm using the following on a RedHat Linux system:

         IC 4.8.7

         Perl 5.6.1

         Digest::MD5 found (v2.30).
         LWP::Simple found (v1.36).
         MIME::Base64 found (v2.18).
         SQL::Statement found (v0.1021).
         Safe::Hole found (v0.08).
         Storable found (v2.06).
         Tie::Watch found (v1.0).
         URI::URL found (v5.03).

         GDBM available (v1.05)
         No Berkeley DB_File.
         DBI enabled (v1.35), available drivers:

In the mean time I've gone back to HIGH mode until a solution to this odd
problem can be found.

Many thanks

Mark

Eros Shop