[ic] Possible bug: Too many new ID assignments for this IP address

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 25 04:05:37 EDT 2005

On Wednesday, August 24, 2005 11:10 PM, mike at perusion.com wrote:

> Quoting John1 (list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk):

>> So I now see that the lockout will end after time robot_expire.
>>
>> However, as AOL and NTL implement a NAT proxy set up it does mean
>> that your suggestion of a low "limit robot_expire" (in conjunction
>> with say RobotLimit of say 100) is essential for moderately busy
>> sites.
>>
>> I am trying a limit robot_expire 0.002 as you suggest - Hopefully
>> this will be sufficient as you say, but I will let you know if I
>> still get lockouts appearing in the error log.
>
> I can't imagine you will. That means you would have to have 100
> consecutive new session assignments from the same proxy server
> without a 3-minute gap between. That would be a lot of traffic unless
> you are targeting one ISP....

I am sure you are right.  To be honest, the last time I tried this I think I
was running with the default robot_expire, but with RobotLimit 1000.  So
even though RobotLimit was very high, it only took 1 visitor per day from
the same IP to keep the counter counting and eventually reaching 1000.  Then
once the 1000 limit had been reached the situation was quite bad as lockout
lasted for a whole day.

Thanks for you help and patience with me on this one.