[ic] Menu editor problem with categories & subcategories

Ton Verhagen tverhagen at alamerce.nl
Mon Aug 29 05:09:23 EDT 2005

Quoting Smej Worth <smejworth at gmail.com> :
> > Hi list,
> > I've searched the archives for a solution for this issue but found
> > nothing that helps with the latest versions of interchange.
> >
> > I'm using comb_category to have multiple subcategories of products.
> >
> > Say I have the following prod_group's and categories in my products
> > table:
> >

> > DVD
> >       sony
> >       panasonic
> >       samsung
> >
> > VCR
> >       sony
> >       panasonic
> >       sharp
> >       toshiba
> >
> > CD
> >       sony
> >       panasonic
> >       sharp
> >       toshiba
> >       phillips
> >

> > I then use the menu loader to create the menu. The resulting menu
> > looks like this:
> >

> > DVD
> >       sony
> >       panasonic
> >       samsung
> >
> > VCR
> >       sharp
> >       toshiba
> >
> > CD
> >       phillips
> >

> > 'sony' & 'panasonic' get lost in the VCR categories.
> > Everything but 'phillips' gets lost from the CD category.
> >
> > It seems the menu loader assumes all categories and subcategories will
> > have unique names. If it comes across a subcategory name its seen
> > before it drops it.
> >
> > How do I get the menu loader to include ALL categories & sub
> > categories?
>

>No one has a solution to this problem? This issue basically renders
>the combined category features of the menu builder useless.
>
>Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this!

Solution is pretty easy, simply prepend the product group to
the values in the comb_category field so they read:

DVD:sony
DVD:panasonic
DVD:samsung

VCR:sony
VCR:panasonic
VCR:sharp
VCR:toshiba

CD:sony
CD:panasonic
CD:sharp
CD:toshiba
CD:phillips

Best regards,

Ton

--
Alamerce Nederland --- Cornerstone of eBusiness
Phone +31-40-2374381    info at alamerce.nl    http://www.alamerce.nl

eCommerce Solutions -- Consulting -- Website & Interchange Hosting