[ic] Menu editor problem with categories & subcategories

Smej Worth smejworth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 05:30:48 EDT 2005

On 8/29/05, Ton Verhagen <tverhagen at alamerce.nl> wrote:
> Quoting Smej Worth <smejworth at gmail.com> :
> > > Hi list,
> > > I've searched the archives for a solution for this issue but found
> > > nothing that helps with the latest versions of interchange.
> > >
> > > I'm using comb_category to have multiple subcategories of products.
> > >
> > > Say I have the following prod_group's and categories in my products
> > > table:
> > >

> > > DVD
> > >       sony
> > >       panasonic
> > >       samsung
> > >
> > > VCR
> > >       sony
> > >       panasonic
> > >       sharp
> > >       toshiba
> > >
> > > CD
> > >       sony
> > >       panasonic
> > >       sharp
> > >       toshiba
> > >       phillips
> > >

> > > I then use the menu loader to create the menu. The resulting menu
> > > looks like this:
> > >

> > > DVD
> > >       sony
> > >       panasonic
> > >       samsung
> > >
> > > VCR
> > >       sharp
> > >       toshiba
> > >
> > > CD
> > >       phillips
> > >

> > > 'sony' & 'panasonic' get lost in the VCR categories.
> > > Everything but 'phillips' gets lost from the CD category.
> > >
> > > It seems the menu loader assumes all categories and subcategories will
> > > have unique names. If it comes across a subcategory name its seen
> > > before it drops it.
> > >
> > > How do I get the menu loader to include ALL categories & sub
> > > categories?
> >

> >No one has a solution to this problem? This issue basically renders
> >the combined category features of the menu builder useless.
> >
> >Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this!
>
> Solution is pretty easy, simply prepend the product group to
> the values in the comb_category field so they read:
>
> DVD:sony
> DVD:panasonic
> DVD:samsung
>

> VCR:sony
> VCR:panasonic
> VCR:sharp
> VCR:toshiba
>
> CD:sony
> CD:panasonic
> CD:sharp
> CD:toshiba
> CD:phillips

This is pretty much what i'm describing above. If you tried this you'd
find that you'd end up with a menu containing:

DVD:sony
DVD:panasonic
DVD:samsung

VCR:sharp
VCR:toshiba

CD:phillips

I've had a collegue write a perl script that generates a correct tab
delimited file that can be loaded into the menu editor for publishing.
I'll post it once i''ve generalised it a bit.

Cheers,
Daniel