[ic] Mod-interchange - PERL execution

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sat Dec 3 08:43:01 EST 2005

Chuck Adams [chuck.adams at capstone-media.com] wrote:
> We've got an Interchange site that uses Russell's downloadable content
> solution presented at
> http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2003-July/034370.h
> tml
> <http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2003-July/034370.
> html> It works quite well before mod_interchange by calling a usertag
> "set_download_key.tag" that executes a /cgi-bin/download.cgi PERL script
> - however once mod-_interchange is set up and the /cgi-bin/ directory is
> added to the OrdinaryFiles list - the script is being accessed, but not
> executed by PERL - instead it is just displayed as text in the browser.
>
> Are there ways to avoid this and execute the PERL code?

Mod_interchange cannot hand CGI execution requests back to Apache,
so files listed in the OrdinaryFileList will not be executed.  I'd
be interested to hear about any Apache module API tricks I may have
overlooked.

The workaround is to create a separate virtual hostname for the CGI
executables.  Perhaps cgi.example.com vs. www.example.com.  I just
had a quick read through the articles you referenced and one of them
says "script_that_takes_key.pl (located on download server)".  The
"download server" could be a new cgi.example.com virtual host.

I think the workaround is a cleaner solution anyway, as it helps keep
external CGI executables and other foreign stuff (PHP etc.) out of
Interchange's face.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz