[ic] "Reply-To" Munging Considered Harmful

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Wed Dec 14 11:45:40 EST 2005

Quoting Sam Batschelet (sam at westbranchresort.com):
> Mike, Kevin, Jon, All,
>
>   I just got blasted for having my mailing list setup like Interchanges with
> "Reply-To" Munging, and was wondering if you might want to consider this?

> Just a thought

We have been operating this way for seven years with no complaints. As
far as I am concerned, the matter is closed; I don't want to discuss it
any more; any further discussion will have to go on without me. 8-)

The link you were sent is very, very, outdated -- the author refers
to the "elm" mailer, which is ancient and not in use hardly at all
(mutt has replaced it almost entirely). Though it is dated 2002, I
am guessing it is minor edits.

Some people have a different view of mail lists, and that is fine. But
to have them subject others to the religious fervor of their views
strikes me as a bit grandiose. If they can't state the "harm" in
the first screen of their diatribe, then it isn't that harmful.

--
Mike Heins

Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second
time you make it. -- unknown