[ic] mod_interchange and Apache MaxClients

Ron Phipps rphipps at reliant-solutions.com
Wed Dec 21 12:03:42 EST 2005

<snip>

> Are you using a script to restart your site or do you restart it by
> hand?  If you restart it by hand could you please setup a cgi test
> domain and hit that site before you restart IC/Apache?
>
> Something in these worms is causing mod_interchange or IC to hang, but
> I'm not sure I know where to look from here.  It'd be great if there
was
> a script that recreated the actions of these worms, but I have not
found
> one yet.  If we could recreate the problem on demand then it'd be much
> easier to find a fix.  Unfortunately right now we have to make a
change
> then wait for the worm to attack again.
>
> Does anyone know of any communities where they would post such a
script?

> I think what I'm going to do next is add those xmlrpc paths to either
> the ordinaryfilelist or the dropfilelist of mod_interchange so that
the
> posts are not passed along to IC.

The DropRequestList looks like this now in the interchange-handler
section:

DropRequestList /default.ida /x.ida /cmd.exe /root.exe /xmlrpc.php

Since I implemented this, the site has been hit by the worm 6 times, but
my script has not detected the site going down.

I still think there is a problem somewhere, either in apache,
mod_interchange or interchange, however I'm not sure how to go about
finding the issue without an easy to reproduce case.

Once someone can come up with a reproducible case I will look into a fix
closer.

Thanks,
-Ron