[ic] 'Unable to send mail' - ongoing issue

Ed LaFrance Ed.LaFrance at newmediaems.com
Tue Jan 4 17:03:01 EST 2005

Hi Listees -

I've just started working on a new client's system, and I see they are
plagued with a problem that I have observed on a myriad of other
installations. Namely, various emails sent by Interchange occasionally do
not go out. The failed sends can be found in the catalog error log,
preceded by the string 'Unable to send mail using (sendmail or similar)'. I
have seen order reports, customer receipts, contact messages and more email
types fail in this manner, sent by both email UserTags and Interchange's
internal mailing routines. I've seen this on Red Hat, Debian, FreeBSD, and
Solaris systems - maybe more, but those are the ones that come to mind. In
all cases, the systems have plenty of available RAM, disk space and CPU
resources.

In one case I hacked the source a bit to capture some system error info to
the catalog error.log, and the system said the cause was a 'broken pipe'.
This was only on one system, so I don't know if that holds true for all cases.

I'd be interested in hearing feedback from anyone who has any ideas on how
to diagnose or heal the source of this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

New Media LLC                 Technology Solutions for Business
Fair Oaks, CA  95628          Ed.LaFrance at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax