[ic] Intl Shipping. Tax by County.

Duane Hinkley duane at downhomewebdesign.com
Thu Jan 6 20:45:44 EST 2005

Martin Abell (SpeedSpan) wrote:

> I have two items I don't have time to work on and wonder if someone
> wants to consult on these.
> The first is setting up a report of taxes a vendor owes by county.
> Ohio requires that taxes be collected and paid based on county.  The
> collection piece is a seperate issue, and one possibility is to tax
> all buyers at the highest rate (I think it's 8% in Cleveland).  The
> paying piece is the more critical.  I could do it but don't have
> time.  The transactions are in a mysql database and have the zip
> codes, and there is a mysql table of the tax rates by zip code
> (correlates to county) that I have put together.  It's simply a matter
> of writing a perl script to spit out (quarterly) all the counties that
> are owed, and how much.
> The second is assistance in setting up international shipping rates
> that are relatively accurate.  The customer thinks the current
> estimation (a simple step function with numbers derived many months
> ago from sources I no longer remember) is off too often.  I suppose
> UPS worldwide tables could be used, or maybe there is a query process
> that could be implemented.
> Interchange 4.8 on Linux Apache.
> Martin Abell
> SpeedSpan
> 513-579-1990

I can help you with the rates.  Check out my UPS_XML module in CPAN.  It
includes the usertags needed for Perl.  It contacts UPS and returns the
current online rates using XML.  My Canadian clients love it.

A little tip, the test part of the make requries UPS account.  You can
skip that step, nothing is compiled so there.s little chance of it

Duane Hinkley
Down Home Web Design, Inc.
(208) 424-0572 Fax(208) 587-0738

duane at downhomewebdesign.com