[ic] Removing session ID from the URL

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 11:51:32 EST 2005

> > It looks like IC usually appends a session ID to all links on the
> > first page of the session.  If IC gets a session cookie back from the
> > user after that, it keeps the session IDs out of the links.  Is there
> > any way to keep IC from appending session IDs right away?
>
> If you don't want a session ID ever to appear in the URL, you can set this
> in catalog.cfg:
>
> ScratchDefault  mv_no_session  1

What a treat!  Thank you!  This means I don't have to maintain Robot*
anymore if I can count on mv_pc not showing up.  I don't think I've
seen it in awhile.  Is it suppressed now (5.2)?

I'm going to do a little research on what percentage of non-robotic
users don't allow session cookies these days.  Let me know if you're
interested.

> (Note that that's different from the more common ScratchDefault
> mv_no_session_id 1.)
>
> If you don't want a session on the links in the first page, but do want
> one later if the browser isn't returning cookies, you could set an
> Autoload like this in interchange.cfg:
>
> GlobalSub session_trick <<EOR
> sub {
>      delete $::Scratch->{mv_no_session} unless $Vend::Cookie;
>      return;
> }
> EOR
>
> And then do this in catalog.cfg:
>
> Autoload session_trick
>
> That's untested. Let me know if it works. :) Maybe there's a better way to
> do that, but I can't think of one at the moment.
>
> > Also, I've been noticing that after awhile IC will start serving pages
> > with session IDs appended to all URLs.  I'm seeing it in Firefox 1.0
> > on Linux.  I wonder if it's a Firefox or IC issue.  Has anyone else
> > noticed this?
>
> The only time that should happen is if you visit the admin, then go back
> to the regular storefront. The admin sets up your session to always add
> mv_session_id and mv_pc to your URLs, and that sticks even if you log out
> and go back to the storefront. If you get a totally new session that
> should go away.

That fully explains it.  Thanks again!

- Grant