[ic] Perl, debian packages, and the usual issues.

Jamie Neil jamie at versado.net
Wed Jan 19 05:31:43 EST 2005

Cameron G wrote:
> Kitchensink is just for the perl modules themselves, that isn't really the
> issue here, what I'm looking for is an officially sanctioned method via
> which one can use the debian package and tell it to use a certain perl at
> the same time (meaning, a non-threaded perl package, or one you've rolled
> your self). At this moment in time, I'm not even sure how to *hack* IC to
> use a different perl, so yeah...

I had a go at this on Debian Sarge using the IC packages from Unstable,
but gave up after several failed attempts to get it to work.

What I don't understand is why this separate Perl workaround is still
necessary. It seems that the problem with IC and threaded Perl is not
Perl itself but the DBI or DBD::mysql modules. Now DBI is (AFAIK) a very
widely used Perl module, and MySQL is the most popular database out
there, so now that almost every current Linux distribution ships with a
threaded Perl, why has this issue not been fixed? Is Interchange the
_only_ application out there that has issues with threaded Perl? Surely
if the problem lies in the DBI modules then many other applications
would be affected?

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254